OUR GIVING BACK
When asked "what would you like to do once you achieve financial freedom?", the typical person will say things such as:
- "I'll quit my job and travel the world" (more experiences)
- "I'll spend more time with the people I love" (more time)
- "I'll enjoy all the luxuries life has to offer" (more indulgence)
- "I'll work on improving the quality of my life" (more focus on health/self)
But when we ask people who have actually achieved financial freedom the same question, the answer is almost always something along the lines of:
- "I've done the whole "travel the world" and "do whatever I want" thing – now I want to make a difference" (more impact)
We can see this psychological effect replicated in some of the world's most wealthy people. For example:
- Elon Musk decided to invest all the money he got from selling PayPal into starting Tesla and SpaceX
- Bill Gates has dedicated much of his wealth and time to many philanthropic causes related to climate change, global health and education.
This is exactly what Terry experienced himself when he achieved financial freedom.
After about 18 months of non-stop travelling and indulging in life's little luxuries, Terry found himself lacking purpose and meaning. It also didn't help that most of his friends and family were all working full-time jobs while he had all this time to himself.
That's what led him to start The Freedom Trader — to help others achieve a similar level of self-actualization.
As such, our philosophy and overarching mission at The Freedom Trader is to help as many people become financially free so that they can take care of themselves, and subsequently:
- Pay things forward by help others do the same
- Giving back to the community through funding social causes